Watermelon Gelatin Dessert
For a refreshing change from the usual birthday cake, flavor your party with this "fruitful" favorite! Since the treat is so easy to prepare, you'll likely want to serve it for other occasions...or even any day at all!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin
- 6 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups white grape juice
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve lime gelatin in 3 cups boiling water. Pour into an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. In a another large bowl, combine watermelon and strawberry gelatins; stir in the remaining boiling water until gelatin is dissolved. Pour into another 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate both dishes until gelatin is very firm.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a small saucepan, bring grape juice to a boil; stir in softened unflavored gelatin. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Pour into a large bowl; refrigerate for 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gently fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
- Cut green gelatin into 1/2-in cubes and red gelatin into 1-in. cubes. Place 2 cups whipped topping mixture in a large bowl; fold in green gelatin. Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Fold red gelatin into remaining whipped topping; spread over green gelatin layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.