Sonoran Sunset Watermelon Ice
If you didn’t think watermelon and cilantro could go together in a dessert, this recipe will give you a pleasant surprise! Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and a sprig of cilantro on top for extra flair. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Process: 10 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Dash salt
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely.
- Puree watermelon in a blender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sugar syrup and remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until cold.
- Pour watermelon mixture into cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 4 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 100 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Sonoran Sunset Sorbet in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.