My family enjoys the wonderful Indian flavors in a traditional samosa. Baked instead of fried, this version has fewer calories but keeps all the classic tastes and textures we love. —Amy Siegel, Clifton, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Mint chutney, optional
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, salt, curry powder, cumin and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mashed potatoes, garbanzo beans, peas and cilantro.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spray sheet with cooking spray; repeat with 1 more sheet of phyllo, spraying the sheet with cooking spray. Cut into two 14x4-1/2-in. strips.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, to the end of the strip.
- Spritz end of dough with spray and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and spritz top with spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place triangles on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with mint chutney.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 79 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.