Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 3 cups
- 1/2 pound small unpeeled red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan; add broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; add to potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and evaporated milk until smooth; add to potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until cream cheese is melted and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Garnish with Swiss cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 13, 2011
This soup is very appetizing to look at--the red potatoes make a nice contrasting color. For the most part it turned out well, but I added some garlic powder to give it more flavor (you can never go wrong with garlic!)
Apr 11, 2011
I accidentally added milk in place of the water, but it was still very good. I also added sauerkraut which was tasty. The next time I will add Kielbasa and sauerkraut.
Apr 5, 2010
I tried this soup recipe for the first time and thought it was awsome. It wasn't to thick and not to runny, just right. I added a few spices and some sour cream.
Dec 31, 2009
I found this recipe just browsing the site one day, it looked good so I thought I'd try it. It was a hit with both my husband & myself. When I made it the second time I added some sour cream to it, better then before.
Nov 6, 2009
Other than using cream in place of the milks, made as directed. Basic but delicious! Best potato soup recipe I've tried...and I've tried several! Would be just as good garnished w/ the traditional cheddar cheese & bacon too.
Dec 2, 2008
So good that I made it twice this week. The second time I used heavy cream instead of milk and added chopped clams. What a great chowder!
Sep 9, 2008
I found this recipe by accident, looking for soething else I tried it one day, "Viola!" My husband & I loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.