- 3 pounds tomatoes (about 12 medium), halved
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place tomatoes in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, cut side down; brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast 20-25 minutes or until skins are blistered and charred. Remove and discard skins.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, orange juice, tomato paste and roasted tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in orange peel, butter, cilantro, honey and salt. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTomato-Orange Soup
"What an intriguing combination of flavors! I halved the recipe and omitted the cilantro and used chopped parsley instead. Finished soup was delicious!"