Thai Coconut Beef
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked brown or white rice
- Optional toppings: thinly sliced green onions, chopped peanuts, hot sauce and lime wedges
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Place beef and pepper slices in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk coconut milk, beef stock, peanut butter, curry paste, soy sauce, honey and ginger; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred beef with two forks. Return beef to slow cooker; stir in snap peas. Cook, covered, on low 45-60 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve with rice and, if desired, toppings of your choice. Freeze option: Place cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice and toppings): 421 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Jun 5, 2017
While I really like all of the ingredients individually, they seemed to mesh into one beef flavor. I couldn't taste the coconut flavor at all, and the only flavor I could pick out was the peanut butter. It was good for a try, but wouldn't make it again unfortunately. Enjoyed the vegetables that were added.
Apr 20, 2017
Wow, my family and friends loved this. My only addition (because my family likes spicy) is that I added about 1/4 cup of Chili Garlic Sauce to the slow cooker before cooking. I will be making this again!
Jan 29, 2017
Mmmm, this was really good! I love slow cooker recipes and this was a nice change from the norm. The only change I made was to add the red pepper with the snap peas so they didn't get mushy. Looking forward to trying this with chicken, hubby and I would like that even better. And spicing it up just a bit. Thanks for sharing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.