- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover ad let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 4 loaves.
Reviews forSwedish Rye Bread
"I LOVE baking with rye flour. I made this into rolls for supper, and my husband and kids loved them. I also used butter instead of shortening (which I never ever use anyway). They were delicious!"
"This is indeed very, very good."
"This was delicious!! Tastes like a bread you get at a fine restaurant. I made a half recipe, and my family ate it all at once. I made the dough in my bread machine, taking it out to shape and bake. I did have to add extra water to make a good consistancy; still looked pretty dense, even after rising extra, but baked up really soft and a little sweet. Can't wait to make this again!!!!!!!"