Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream
Developing new flavors of ice cream is a passion of mine and there are very few ingredients that I won't experiment with. This creation was inspired by a great persimmon cookie recipe that I have. —Cleo Gonske, Redding, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 15 min. + freezing
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half cream and sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, persimmon, pudding mix and spices. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Originally published as Persimmon-cheesecake Ice Cream in Taste of Home Website
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.