- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, bring brown sugar and water to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 242° (firm-ball stage). In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add hot sugar mixture; beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla; continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSour Cream Spice Cake
"I've made a ton of cakes but never with this kind of frosting. What a way to ruin a cake. Sour cream frosting or cream cheese frosting is a MUST for flavor and texture in regards to this recipe. I couldn't believe when one reviewer stated they "loved" the frosting! If you find window caulking edible then I guess this frosting is for you. [made frosting twice just to be sure , yep...still nasty.]"
"I have not had much success with cakes, but this was by far the best cake I have ever made. I made this for my husbands birthday (he does not care for sweets) he said this was the BEST cake he had ever made. I followed the recipe exactly except I used a bundt pan and added 5-10 mins to the baking time."
"The cake turned out terrific, even though I didn't have cake flour and had to put the eggs in whole because I dirtied my beaters before reading the recipe. It is finely textured, moist, with the right mix of spices. I put it in a 9 x 13 pan without a problem. I will frost it with an ordinary vanilla cream frosting, but the frosting given in the recipe sounds very good. An all-around good recipe!"
"I made this for my grandmother's birthday and everyone loved it, especially the frosting!"