Slow-Cooked Two-Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Reduced-fat sour cream, hot pepper sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion and/or crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the mushrooms, peppers, celery, onion and jalapeno in oil until onion is lightly browned. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, carrot, water, barbecue sauce, chili powder and Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with sour cream, pepper sauce, cheese, onion and/or chips if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 246 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 13g fiber), 11g protein.
Sep 20, 2019
I absolutely loved this chili! I make it every couple of months.
Nov 28, 2016
I have made this chili with and without BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce completely dominates the flavors to the point that nothing else can be tasted. I love this chili without BBQ sauce or smoke.
Jan 7, 2013
We don't care for mushrooms so I added zucchini instead. Didn't have jalepeno pepper so put cayenne pepper in it, and added a bit too much. So I added a bit of honey as has been suggested, and the liquid smoke, which really made it wonderful! My grandson, who is a picky vegetarian, gobbled up 2 bowls of it! My daughter asked for the recipe and her hubby raved about it, too. It was a big hit!
Feb 25, 2010
the best chili I've ever had!!
Dec 6, 2009
This was so good! I even left out the bell peppers b/c DH doesn't like them. I also subbed salsa for half of the canned tomatoes. Awesome!