Silky Chocolate Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), see below
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Baking cocoa
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate, Cognac and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to a clean bowl; press waxed paper onto surface of filling. Cool filling to room temperature. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add Cognac and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Dust lightly with cocoa.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 579 calories, 39g fat (24g saturated fat), 211mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 25, 2016
Very good, if you like a lighter flavor chocolate pie, versus the deeper, darker flavored ones.
Mar 12, 2014
Wow! This recipe for chocolate pie hits the spot. It's very rich and good. I like that its uses real ingredients. I made this today following the recipe precisely, except for the alcohol, I left that out. I didn't think it needed it either, it was so delicious! Smooth and silky!
Jan 25, 2013
This has to be the absolute best chocolate pie / pudding that we've every tried. Mom and I made it together and since we didn't have ingredients to make a crust, we just put it in pudding dishes. We didn't have any brandy we used a little whiskey. Wonderfu!!! Thank-you so much.