Scallops in Shells
For a formal dinner, try my elegant scallop recipe as a first course. The buttery scallops are served in a rich, creamy sauce. —Jane Rossen, Binghamton, New York
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups water
- 16 sea scallops (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 8 scallop shells
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add scallops and poach, uncovered, 6 minutes or until firm and opaque. Drain scallops, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter until tender. Add scallops; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved poaching liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, sherry, salt, lemon juice, pepper and lemon peel; add to skillet.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Divide scallop mixture among eight scallop shells. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over tops. Place on an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 250 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Scallops in Shells in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.