Expect a crowd to gather around the grill when these flavorful kabobs are cooking! Lisa Malynn Kent's recipe takes a healthy turn with turkey kielbasa, potatoes, squash and zucchini on the skewer. "The zesty honey-mustard glaze gives a lovely sheen to the sausage and veggies," she notes from North Richland Hills, Texas.
Recommended: 50+ Brilliant Recipes for Food on a Stick
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 pound reduced-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and water. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside. For glaze, combine the honey, mustard and orange peel in a small bowl.
- If grilling kabobs, coat the grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the sausage, potatoes, yellow squash and zucchini; brush with half of the glaze. Grill kabobs, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and sausage is heated through, basting frequently with glaze and turning once. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Squash Kabobs in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p13