- 4 pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil and season with salt and pepper. Remove to a warm platter. Mix 1/4 cup pan drippings with bread crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup; sprinkle remaining crumbs into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine rhubarb, sugar, flour and cinnamon; spoon half over the bread crumbs. Arrange pork chops on top. Spoon remaining rhubarb mixture over chops. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with reserved bread crumbs. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chops test done. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forRhubarb Pork Chop Casserole
"Had this last night for dinner with out-of-town guests. We all love rhubarb, but never had a rhubarb recipe that wasn't a dessert, so this was unique. We all loved it! Served it with Bavarian Style Sauerkraut and Hot German Potato salad. Next time, I would add some chopped onion to this recipe, as I think it would be even more tasty that way. Will be passing this on to family and friends who also love rhubarb."
"Not that great. I used frozen rhubarb and there was a lot of juice when thawed and I did not drain it. The juice from the rhubarb soaked into the cracker mixture and it became lumpy in spots because it was not evenly distributed. When baked the lumps were the consistency of old gummy jelly. Maybe I should have added the juice to the bread crumbs which would have evened it out and left more of a crumb mixture because, as Tayer said in the review below, there weren't enough drippings from the chops. I will try it again because I have more rhubarb in the freezer. I will also cut down on the cinnamon because my other half said it overwhelmed the other flavors."
"We found this recipe right when we had a large harvest of rhubarb. Skeptically, I tried it. YUM! I can't wait for our rhubarb to be ready so I can make it again!!!"
"This recipe was absolutely delicious. My family and I love rhubarb. We have alot of it growing at our house and I make pie, cobblers, etc., but this recipe was different and we really enjoyed it."