Rhubarb Dessert Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine butter and brown sugar. Top with rhubarb.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, water and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour over rhubarb.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 267 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 4, 2018
I agree with rtfrobel (our taste buds are developed just fine), very good recipe!
Jul 14, 2011
The brown sugar and butter stuck to my well greased dish and needs something else....maybe some flour? The cake part and rhubarb is good...just do not like the bottom.
Jul 22, 2009
Well, obviously, I have more developed taste buds!
Jul 19, 2009
Well I have to totally disagree with the last comment. This dessert turned out fabulous and is a hit with everyone that has tasted it. It wasn't rubbery and poured over the rhubarb with no difficulty. It is on the top of my recipie list.
Jun 25, 2009
I don't know how this recipe got a blue ribbon! The cake part was rubbery and thin and I did not overmix the batter, and there was barely enough to cover the entire rhubarb, hard to spread, and know you don't just pour it over the rhubarb you have to strategically work it over the rhubarb. and the whole thing was TOO SUGARY SWEET, tasted like some bad recipe from home economics class I won't make this recipe again...too mediocre