- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup raspberry pie filling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Fresh raspberries and decorative sprinkles, optional
- Prepare cake batter mix according to package directions for cupcakes. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of pie filling in the center of each; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening until fluffy. Add the milk, vanilla, salt; gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with raspberries and sprinkles if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forRaspberry Swirl Cupcakes
"I have not made these yet but will very soon. Since several had complained of the frosting being too sweet I might suggest using softened butter in place of the shortening. It will be a more creamy consistency. I will also add a small amount of raspberry pie filling to the frosting along with replacing the vanilla extract with raspberry extract. I have done that before with other recipes and it is fantastic! (I am rating it 5 only because it makes you do this in order to leave a comment)"
"I found the pie filling at Giant Eagle grocery store. They only sell it in their brand but it is delicious!!!!"
"I also could not find the raspberry pie filling anywhere ,so I used Smuckers Raspberry preserves and these cupcakes turned out excellent.for the frosting I used 1 SMALL PKG Of Jello vanilla instant pudding (powder) and mix it to to 1 tub of cool whip no milk needed, mix the pudding and cool whip"
"A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. My new favorite!! Loved the raspberry filling, loved the icing. I wouldn't change a thing!!"
"Loved these, but the recipe for the frosting is WAY too sweet. After a bit of tweaking and adding some of the raspberry pie filling to the frosting I finally was able to make something that didn't kill you with sweetness.Every time I try to make this recipe my pie filling falls to the bottom of the cupcake and gets stuck on the wrapper. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?I mixed and matched a bit, used lemon cake mix and strawberry pie filling, it was AMAZING, didn't even need frosting!"
"I can't find raspberry filling, but it turns out good w/blueberry and blackberry."
"Everyone loved the raspberry swirled cupcakes. I made them in a heart shapes for Valentine's Day. I added some of the raspberry pie filling to the frosting for a little taste and pink coloring. Next time I would modify the frosting and add cream cheese to it to tone down the sweetness a bit."
"The cupcakes are delicious, and everyone loves the raspberry surprise when they bite into them. I thought the icing was too sweet, I would probably use a buttercream icing if I made them again, but they were still delicious!"
"I did not make the frosting because I was short on time. I just used the stuff out of the can but the cupcakes turned out excellent. I left the frosting off of some and they were all devoured. I made them for a potluck and everyone loved them!"
"Very good,found rasp. pie filling at price cutters"