Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cup seedless raisins
- In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle.
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, flour and brown sugar. Stir in water until smooth. Add raisins. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough into 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in.-round cookie cutters. Spoon 2 teaspoons filling on top of half the circles and top each with another circle. Pinch edges together and cut slit in top.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 351 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
I am wondering if two tablespoons of vanilla is correct. Should it be two teaspoons?
Dec 19, 2017
This is wonderful recipe! My husband loves them!
Jan 21, 2017
Awesome cookie!....Easy and tasteful. Reminds my boyfriend of his mother's cookie, His favorite!!!!
Jul 18, 2016
This recipe comes from the Rebecca cook book..It is an old recipe & very good. My family loves them.The men seem to really like them.I am making some today to send to my son in OK. ! They R worth the time making them.
Dec 20, 2015
My grandma's filled cookies were very much like these. They have been a family favorite for generations--especially with the men. In my dad's later years, I always baked/made his favorite cookies, muffins and candies (at gift holidays) for him. The first time, I got this HUGE smile and hug for my gift to him. My sis said she shopped for something for months and all I had to do was make him his favorite sweets. I reminded her that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!!
Feb 9, 2014
I normally don't like raisins, but these are amazing. You just can't beat the slight taste of nutmeg and satisfying filling.
Dec 26, 2013
These cookies taste just like my grandma used to make. My husband and kids loved them!
Dec 14, 2013
Just like grandma used to make
Jan 9, 2013
This was my favorite cookie growing up. My Mom passed away in 2004. She had given me her receipe box which disapeared. We didn't use nutmeg or buttermilk, this receipe was very good with a new twist.
Aug 4, 2012
This may be the 'Raisin Filling' referred to on the 'Basic Cookie Dough' recipe. In addition this is from the Raisin-Filled Cookies recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.