Priscilla’s Vegetable Chowder
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 24, 2019
This recipe turned out great! Reheats very well too. I does take a bit to chop up the vegetables but what a great, tasty way to clean out the frig, use leftover veggies and eat a bit healthier!
Feb 28, 2019
This is my absolute go to recipe for soup when having guests. It is delicious!! The only changes I make are that I use 4 cups of chicken broth instead of the water and bouillon and I add more cheese. Thanks for this very tasty recipe.
Dec 30, 2018
This is a great tasting recipe. I cut the butter and flour down to 1/4 cup and used 2% milk to reduce the fat and some of the carbs and the roux was just fine. I also doubled the amount of ham and used beef stock and water as I didn't have chicken.
Dec 27, 2018
Oh, yum! Enjoying our first bowl while we watch the snow falling outside. I used up some leftover Christmas ham but, because of the snow, didn’t trek to the store for broccoli. Subbed some criminis that needed to be used up instead. Very friendly recipe that takes whatever veggie you want to toss into it.
Mar 12, 2018
Jan 2, 2017
We've been making lots of soups lately. This is one of the new ones we've tried. This is a keeper.
Oct 16, 2016
I really don't have the right to rate this recipe as it is written. As I was looking at the recipe I decided to use 1 can of chicken broth and 1/2 c. water for the veges. Then when I was stirring in the roux I added 1 Tablespoon of chicken seasoning, a couple of dashes of garlic powder and a dash of ground red pepper and did not use any ham. My husband and I loved it. So thank you for the base of this soup.
Oct 3, 2016
This was WONDERFUL! Easy to make and tastes great! This is a kitchen keeper for sure! YUM
Jun 16, 2016
Love this soup! I dont add the ham, it's great without it. And i used 4 cups chicken broth and a half cup each butter and flour, i find it thick with that. Thank you for sharing this recipe
Feb 15, 2016
This is one of the best soups I've ever had. I omitted the ham and used vegetarian bouillon as I'm vegetarian. I'd give it a 10 star rating if it were an option.