Olive Oil Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in oil. Beat in ground almonds, milk, orange zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar and enough orange juice to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 279 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 2, 2019
I'm not the best baker, but this cake turned out perfectly! The family all enjoyed it and want me to make again!
Sep 1, 2019
This cake was relatively easy to make, and it tasted great. I loved the orange and almond flavors in the cake. The almonds on top were a pretty addition and made for a nice presentation.
Aug 13, 2019
This is so moist, prepared it for a neighborhood coffee and it disappeared fast. I did not have almonds so i used pecans and followed the recipe exactly other than that. delicious.