Olive Oil Cake
A good olive oil cake isn't overly sweet, so it can just as easily be a breakfast treat or afternoon snack as it can be a dessert. —Lisa Kaminski, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in oil. Beat in ground almonds, milk, orange zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar and enough orange juice to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 279 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Almond Olive Oil Cake in Fast Track 2019
Aug 13, 2019
This is so moist, prepared it for a neighborhood coffee and it disappeared fast. I did not have almonds so i used pecans and followed the recipe exactly other than that. delicious.