- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMeaty Spaghetti Sauce
"The only thing that could make this spaghetti sauce any better is that it has more tomato sauce so it coats the pasta better. My son has begged me to make more of this."
"I love this recipe, so easy to prepare and everyone I serve it to loves it."
"This is my new spaghetti sauce recipe. Loved it! I made it yesterday using all ground beef and no italian sausage. I tasted it but wasn't able to serve it until today. It was much better after the flavors had a chance to mingle overnight. I'll always make it a day ahead now."
"my family's favorite spaghetti sauce"
"We LOVE this. Very hearty. Freezes well, if you need to divide it because it make so much."
"This was fabulous! Tons of flavor and just enough sweetnes. Had enough to feed a family of 5 and still have enough left to freeze for another meal."
"This is the best spaghetti recipe EVER. It's fool proof, as you can tell from others who have tweaked the recipe here and there. I skip the sugar altogether. Another great add is 1 tablespoon of Chef Paul's Pizza and pasta magic. Makes it SPICY!"
"I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! The flavor is fantastic! Try adding mushrooms and zucchini, it's chunky but yummy. Family and Guest Favorite!"
"This is excellent! It is the only spaghetti sauce that I make and I love the fact that you can put it in the crock pot and leave it. It freezes well also. I have added mushrooms to it sometimes, but other than that, I make it as suggested. Like another reviewer noted, I only put about 2-3 Tbl. of sugar (estimate due to not measuring)."
"I followed the recipe as published for the most part, except I added fresh sliced mushrooms, and I saute the mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic then combined briefly with the cooked meats before placing into crockpot. The only other change I will make when I make it again is I'll reduce the sugar by half. For my Italian husband it was too sweet. Bottom line it was good with some adjustments."