Meatballs in Dill Cream Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes4 main-dish servings
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 ounces lean ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Cooked buttered wide egg noodles, optional
- In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, onion, seasonings, crumbs and water. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls and place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a large skillet. Blend in flour until smooth. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add dill and meatballs. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles if desired or as an appetizer.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 370 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 2, 2010
I made this for my family and was surprised cause even my PICKY son ate 2 servings! I doubled the recipe, and used only beef since I have beef men in my house, used an egg in place of the water, I did not have the Marjoram so I used basil and upped the flour to 3/4 cup. The sauce was not thick enough for my liking, without it. I served it on mini Penne pasta. I definitely will make this again. But I will have to try the Marjoram soon!!
Feb 12, 2010
I usually double the sauce for this receipe, everything except the dill. My family loves it!