Mascarpone-Stuffed French Toast with Berry Topping
I love making this rich and delicious French toast for my family. With a warm, creamy filling of mascarpone cheese and a sauce of mixed berries, it's a very easy-to-make breakfast treat that looks like you spent all morning preparing it.—Pamela Shank, Parkersburg, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes6 servings (4 cups sauce)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries
- 1 loaf (1 pound) challah or egg bread, cut into 12 slices
- 6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water. Stir in frozen berries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in fresh berries.
- On each of six bread slices, spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 2 minutes. Place three sandwiches in skillet; toast 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Serve with warm berry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 826 calories, 53g fat (29g saturated fat), 365mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with Triple Berry Topping in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.