Mascarpone-Stuffed French Toast with Berry Topping
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes6 servings (4 cups sauce)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries
- 1 loaf (1 pound) challah or egg bread, cut into 12 slices
- 6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water. Stir in frozen berries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in fresh berries.
- On each of six bread slices, spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 2 minutes. Place three sandwiches in skillet; toast 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Serve with warm berry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 826 calories, 53g fat (29g saturated fat), 365mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2019
Great tasting. My husband particularly loved this version of french toast. I made slight changes to suit my families taste by using... HEB essential grains honey wheat bread. I put chopped dried Mariani cherries and Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips on the mascarpone cheese in the filling. I also, omitted the milk and the cinnamon in the egg dipping mixture, and I put in one tablespoon of vanilla extract instead of 3/4 teaspoon. The berry sauce was a 50/50 mix of strawberries and blueberries.