Ricotta-Stuffed French Toast
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Maple syrup, optional
- Cut bread into 24 thin slices. Spread 12 slices with ricotta cheese; top with remaining bread slices. Beat eggs, cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon together.
- Dip each sandwich into egg mixture. In skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Grill sandwiches slowly until golden brown; turn and grill other side.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar. Top with maple syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 25, 2013
Ricotta is from heaven.
Jan 31, 2009
Wonderful!!! Our whole family (2 adults and 5 kids, ages 3 to 10) loved this recipe. The sprinkle of confectioners' sugar makes it an elegant presentation and the flavor is wonderful! Besides all that, it's very easy to make. I used homemade french bread so I didn't use as many pieces of bread as the recipe called for, but it all worked out well. I only wish I knew where the bed and breakfast is that uses this recipe. We'd love to visit!!