Maple-Bacon Grits Puff
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk, water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in maple syrup, half of the cooked bacon and reserved drippings.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot grits into eggs until blended; return all to pan, mixing well. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and, if desired, chives; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2014
This is a little bland, but we will try again. Maybe add some onion, sausage, garlic. Love the texture!
Nov 11, 2013
Very tasty brunch casserole dish. I will make it again. I'd like to try throwing in some onions and cheese for additional flavor.
Oct 23, 2013
This is amazing - will definitely make for my Sunday brunch more often.