- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk, water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in maple syrup, half of the cooked bacon and reserved drippings.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot grits into eggs until blended; return all to pan, mixing well. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and, if desired, chives; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 247 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.