Mango Pie with Coconut Crust
This was the first pie I created myself. Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, and they deserve to be represented in a pie. Of course, everything is better with coconut. —Jennifer Worrell, Niles, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup ice water
- 5 cups sliced peeled mangoes (about 4 large)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Dash white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss mangoes with rum. In a small bowl, mix sugar, tapioca, spices and salt. Gently stir into fruit mixture; let stand 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the coconut on a lightly floured surface. Place one half of dough on coconut; roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, coconut side down. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Mango Rum Pie with Coconut Crust in Taste of Home December 2013