Makeover Cranberry Trifle
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen reduced-fat pound cake, thawed and cubed
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Place a third of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. trifle bowl; top with a third of the cranberry mixture and a third of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 316 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 7, 2012
this is wonderful,my family just rave about it
Nov 26, 2010
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner with my family and got rave reviews...would definitely make it again!
Nov 24, 2010
made it for a church dinner was grate
Nov 18, 2010
Knockout dessert - sweet and tangy at the same time - and gorgeous. Next time I'll double the cream cheese section.
Jan 13, 2010
My family really enjoyed this easy dessert.
Dec 26, 2009
I also added some raspberries to this. It was a hit for Christmas and I will make again!
Dec 26, 2009
The presentation is beautiful. I did not lighten it up though. I also used the frozen Sara Lee pound cake for its density. You certainly can make this the night before, it held up nicely.
Dec 24, 2009
Beautiful presentation,very easy to put together. Definitely use a pound cake for its density. Cranberry sauce "outstanding!"
Dec 22, 2009
Delicious and yummy! We made it for a holiday party and will be making it again for Christmas. Sweet and tangy, easy to make and eye-pleasing.
Dec 9, 2009
great dish... my family loved it .... next time I think I'll add slices of angel food cake to each layer ... make it like a very large fruit shortcake... yum.....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.