Lime Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, lime juice and zest. Cook over simmering water while gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Strain; refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake. Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Apr 3, 2019
It looks so delicious. Love angel food cake, lime flavor and toasted coconut. Would like to make it but the filling/frosting seems complicated and time consuming. Is there an alternative like using yogurt or whipped topping and adding lime juice and lime zest?
Jul 11, 2010
Delicious and beautiful!