- 1 package lemon or yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon zest. Cool completely.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on an ovenproof serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread meringue over top and sides. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forLemon Meringue Cake
"I made this for the first time ever for our fourth wedding anniversary on 4/07/2014. I did it the night before. Such a simple cake, yet you look at it and it screams, "Elegance!" I wish I could post a photo! Next time I'll make cupcakes with lemon curd filling. In case anyone is wondering if there's a homemade yellow cake mix, here's the one I used: http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-yellow-cake-mix/ I did a test batch with the water and oil as prescribed here but it didn't turn out well. So I did another one following the lady's directions on the link. Thank you for sharing."
"I have been making this delicious cake for years. It's perfect with a golden vanilla or funfetti cake mix too! Also if you bake it on parchment paper you can transfer it to a cake stand or plate easily and then just trim the paper to fit the cake after you transfer it. otherwise the meringue does stick to whatever you bake it on. I always get wonderful compliments when I make this cake, it looks beautiful and tastes amazing."
"Everyone at my hubbys' work just raved...wanted more!"
"Delicious and so pretty!"