Jeweled Cookie Slices
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup red and green candied cherries or chopped candied pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped blanched almonds
- Line an 8x4-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in cherries and almonds. Transfer to prepared pan. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Invert dough onto a cutting board; remove plastic wrap. Cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 138 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2017
These cookie dough is easy to work with. Anything with candied cherries in it is a definite keeper.
Dec 5, 2015
This cookie is easy to make and looks beautiful on a Christmas cookie tray. I found the flavor rather bland so I might try adding a little almond extract next time.
Jan 18, 2015
One of my all-time favorite cookies. The red and green candied cherries make a tasty and pretty cookie. Haven't had a bad batch yet. Yum! Try adding some chopped pecans for a change of pace.
Mar 17, 2013
We love these cookies! I always make them at Christmas time but we love them year round. Being able to make the dough the day before I bake them is always appreciated. Love the hint of nutmeg in them.
Dec 6, 2008
These are my husband's favorite cookie. He will buy the candied fruit as a hint that he would like me to make some for him.