Orange Breakfast Souffle with Dried Cherries
Our family often took this decadent breakfast souffle to a local park on Father's Day. It's easy to make the night before, pop in the oven the next morning and go!—Sharon Ricci, Mendon, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups cubed brioche or egg bread
- 1-1/2 cups cubed Havarti cheese
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Confectioners' sugar
- Pour orange juice over 1/2 cup cherries in a small bowl; let stand 15 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until blended. Stir in cherry mixture. Gently stir in bread cubes; transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove souffle from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake 45-55 minutes or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup and remaining cherries; heat through. Serve with souffle; dust with confectioners' sugar.
Originally published as Orange and Cherry Souffle in Breakfast & Brunch 2014 Bookazine