- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries, halved
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm.
buttermilkTo substitute for each cup of buttermilk, use 1 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand 5 min. Or, use 1 cup plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.
1 each: 184 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 1g fiber), 4g protein.