Impossible Garden Pie
Fresh asparagus and other spring garden vegetables crop up in this light and flavorful egg dish shared by Barbara Gigliotti from Ocala, Florida. The biscuit mix in this "impossible" pie settles to the bottom during baking to create a cheesy crust.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In another large bowl, whisk the biscuit mix, eggs and milk until smooth; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until set and a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 221 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 553mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Impossible Garden Pie in Light & Tasty April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.