Hot German Noodle Salad
Onion, herbs and bacon in a sweet-and-sour sauce make these noodles a delicious and distinctive accompaniment to any meat entree. -Roxie Wilcox, Bellville, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked wide egg noodles
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. In the drippings, saute celery and onion until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt and mustard. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Drain noodles. Add noodles, bacon, vinegar and parsley to the celery mixture. Cook 2 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 223 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Hot German Noodle Salad in Reminisce Extra October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.