Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats, sunflower kernels, raisins, wheat germ and sesame seeds. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until set and edges are browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 31, 2014
These bars have a great crunch from the sunflower kernels and sesame seeds. Be sure to follow the Editor's note above. The first time I made them they didn't stay together very well but the taste was so good it didn't matter.
Feb 3, 2013
Great recipe! I like to change it up some or keep it as is :) Add coconut, replace seeds for nuts, use more peanut butter & honey with less corn syrup or add marshmallows! You can do just about anything with this recipe.
Mar 23, 2010
I LOVE these bars. They are irresistable. They are sweet, chocolate, chewy and contain some healty things like wheat germ, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. I make them often.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.