Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats, sunflower kernels, raisins, wheat germ and sesame seeds. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until set and edges are browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 31, 2014
These bars have a great crunch from the sunflower kernels and sesame seeds. Be sure to follow the Editor's note above. The first time I made them they didn't stay together very well but the taste was so good it didn't matter.
Feb 3, 2013
Great recipe! I like to change it up some or keep it as is :) Add coconut, replace seeds for nuts, use more peanut butter & honey with less corn syrup or add marshmallows! You can do just about anything with this recipe.
Mar 23, 2010
I LOVE these bars. They are irresistable. They are sweet, chocolate, chewy and contain some healty things like wheat germ, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. I make them often.