Chewy Maple Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bow, cream sugar and shortening. Add syrup and egg and beat well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and mix well. Stir in oats and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 261 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
May 28, 2013
This was a good recipe and didn't take too long to make either. I was looking for something with walnuts and maple syrup that I could make with ingredients I already had, and this worked.
May 28, 2011
I usually only make chocolate desserts but decided to try this since I (shock) had no chocolate in the house. Wow was I surprised how good it was!!!! I've made it quite a few times. Great w/ coffee : )