Harvest Bow Ties
Spaghetti squash and bow ties make this meatless dish hearty and filling. Add a can of black beans if you'd like more protein and switch up the tomatoes for variety. Try using Italian diced tomatoes, or diced tomatoes with mild green chiles. —Anne Lynch, Beacon, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 12 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Halve squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender, 9-11 minutes. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Separate strands of squash with a fork; add to skillet. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and sour cream until blended.
- Add to pasta. Heat through, tossing to coat.