Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 pound haddock fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender.
- Place bay leaf and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to saucepan. Stir in the potato, water and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the haddock, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cream; heat through (do not boil). Discard spice bag. Stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 475 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 1394mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Sep 10, 2019
Made this chowder for supper tonight...it was excellent, and the best part was I didn't even have to go shopping for anything (substituted dry ginger, gill and parsley for the fresh stuff). My husband loved it although he commented it wasn't like any fish chowder he'd ever had before. I should note that in the directions, you omitted when to add the sauteed onions and carrots to the pot, so I just threw them in with the cooked bacon...and everything was hunky-dory!
Mar 30, 2009
I just made this tonight and it was a hit with the whole family. Very easy to make and so much flavor! Will definately make again.