When I was growing up, the smell of this bread greeted me as I walked in the door from school. I thought everyone baked bread in a slow cooker. My grandmother, my mother and I—and now my daughters—all bake this. It’s comfort food at its best! —Bonnie Geavaras-Bootz, Scottsdale, Arizona
Recommended: 27 Christmas Pudding Recipes for the Holiday Season
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Layer two 24-in. pieces of foil. Starting with a long side, roll up foil to make a 1-in.-wide strip; shape into a coil. Place on bottom of a 5-qt. slow cooker to make a rack.
- Combine bran, flours, cranberries, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat egg, buttermilk, molasses and honey. Stir into flour mixture just until blended (do not overbeat). Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. baking dish. Tightly cover with lightly greased foil. Place in prepared slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until a thermometer reads 190-200°, about 3 hours.
- Remove dish to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes before inverting loaf onto the rack. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Gooey Old-Fashioned Steamed Molasses Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p33