These light, crispy cookies are packed with fun ingredients perfect for Halloween. —Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup diced candy orange slices
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips or raisins
- Additional raisins or chocolate chips and candy orange slices
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, orange slices and chips or raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork. Decorate with raisin or chocolate chip eyes and orange slice mouths. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Editor's Note: Orange slices cut easier if microwaved for 5 seconds on high and cut with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Goblin Chews in Taste of Home October/November 1997