Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup diced candy orange slices
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or raisins
- Additional raisins or chocolate chips and candy orange slices
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, orange slices and chips or raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork. Decorate with raisin or chocolate chip eyes and orange slice mouths. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Editor's Note: Orange slices cut easier if microwaved for 5 seconds on high and cut with a sharp knife or kitchen scissors.