Frosted Ginger Creams
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water (dough will be soft).
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 7-8 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and enough lemon juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 130 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 6, 2016
These are one of my favorite holiday cookies. I make them every year to include on my Christmas cookie trays. I've never felt the need to change or modify the recipe.
Dec 12, 2010
Dec 23, 2009
these are a 5 star recipe if you change the shortening to butter the sugar to dark brown sugar and the water to buttermilk
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.