Frosted Eggnog Cutout Cookies
My husband loves the creamy richness of eggnog, so I add it to the dough and buttercream icing in these cookies. Top each one with a sprinkle of nutmeg. —Joan Sarge, Asheville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 8 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggnog and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in eggnog and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with additional nutmeg.
- Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Prepare, bake and decorate as directed.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 55 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.