Frosted Cranberry Drop Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add milk, egg and orange juice; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, heat the butter in a saucepan over low heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes; transfer to a small bowl. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost the cookies.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 102 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2019
I am always hesitant about recipes that use use fresh berries, but I tried it anyway because my husband loves fresh cranberries. These are so good! The icing didn't turn out well . It may have been something I didn't do correctly.
Dec 8, 2018
Great cookie. If you want to take it up another notch, add a couple of cups of white chocolate chips!
Feb 27, 2018
Dec 24, 2017
Have made these twice this year for pot-lucks and everyone raves about them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Dec 21, 2017
thought they were awful.
Dec 20, 2017
Have made this cookie recipe 3x times recently and have been delivering them as Christmas goodies (which has resulted in many requests for the recipe). So, I thank you so much:)
Dec 20, 2017
I have made this exact recipe for over 20 years. Exact ingredients and instructions. I got the recipe from one of those midwest/southern type food magazines. People beg me to make them all the time. In fact my 21 yr old daughter and I are making them right now for her work Christmas party. She's been raving about them and wants them to experience them too.
Dec 19, 2017
These are fantastically different cookies! I'll be making them every Christmas from now on. The picture shows a lot of frosting on the cookies, but one recipe of frosting gave just a thin coating of frosting to less than 2/3's f the cookies. I made another 1/2 recipe and had just barely enough to frost the rest. I'll be making a double recipe of frosting from now on. It is excellent!
Dec 15, 2017
WOW!! Worthy of every star there is! I accidentally messed up the frosting by using double the amount of vanilla (rookie mistake! I'm still cookie illiterate.), and it was still delicious! Will ABSOLUTELY keep this one around.
Nov 28, 2017
These were excellent, but there wasn't enough icing for the batch of cookies. I should had read previous reviews first! The cookies that weren't iced...were just plain great also! :-) Thank you.