Flavorful Matzo Ball Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 10 cups water
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- MATZO BALLS:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rendered chicken fat
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 8 cups water
- For broth, in a stockpot, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Add the water, chicken fat and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form; fold into yolk mixture. Fold in matzo meal. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until thickened.
- In another stockpot, bring water to a boil; add remaining salt. Drop eight rounded tablespoonfuls of matzo ball dough into boiling water. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a matzo ball comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
- Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Carefully remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon; place one matzo ball in each soup bowl. Add broth.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 100 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2009
Wonderful soup; almost as if my grandmother made it. Thanks for a terrific recipe.
Apr 20, 2008
just made this soup tonight and it came out like weak tea i had to put 2 cans of store bought chicken broth in to save it. I dont know what test kitchen you had it in, but it had no flavor, very unhappy with this soup.I will keep cooking AJJS