Flavorful Matzo Ball Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 10 cups water
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- MATZO BALLS:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rendered chicken fat
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 8 cups water
- For broth, in a stockpot, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Add the water, chicken fat and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form; fold into yolk mixture. Fold in matzo meal. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until thickened.
- In another stockpot, bring water to a boil; add remaining salt. Drop eight rounded tablespoonfuls of matzo ball dough into boiling water. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a matzo ball comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
- Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Carefully remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon; place one matzo ball in each soup bowl. Add broth.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 100 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Dec 11, 2009
Wonderful soup; almost as if my grandmother made it. Thanks for a terrific recipe.
Apr 20, 2008
just made this soup tonight and it came out like weak tea i had to put 2 cans of store bought chicken broth in to save it. I dont know what test kitchen you had it in, but it had no flavor, very unhappy with this soup.I will keep cooking AJJS
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.