Easy Slow-Cooked Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 5-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes, divided
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Whole milk, chopped fresh parsley and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place 4-1/2 cups of the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat (do not drain). Mash potatoes; stir in butter.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the ham, celery, onion, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining cubed potatoes. Stir in the mashed potato; top with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes and other vegetables are tender. Stir in the sour cream until blended. If desired, thin soup with milk, and add parsley and coarsely ground pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 451 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 982mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 28, 2015
I have been making this for YEARS.......I think I first got the recipe from Taste of Home Slow Cooker cookbook! I am not someone who measures stuff, I just dump in what I like......and I feed more than 6 each night! I have NEVER used Velveeta in this recipe, I always used shredded sharp cheddar. My kids and husband ask me to make this when the weather is cold.....it's a family favorite!
Jan 14, 2014
This soup is a keeper. It is even better the next day. It is thick but as it is warmed it thins out and I did not need to add milk. Just like another review, I used 2% Velveeta and light sour cream. Easy prep and not too time consuming.
Jun 10, 2013
Easy to make and quite delicious!
Jan 2, 2011
Good recipe and not too much prep work.
Dec 29, 2010
This was a big hit at our house! I used 2% milk Velveeta, reduced-fat sour cream and some skim milk to thin it and it was excellent. I pare down most TOH & S&D recipes to make them healthier and still end up with delicious results- thanks for all the great recipes!
Nov 29, 2009
When I make soup I like it thick and hearty. This was excellent. I added some crumbled cooked bacon. Love the velveta! The texture and flavor was perfect. A do over for sure.
Mar 10, 2009
Renee, great ideas. Another alternative for whole milk is canned skim milk - it cuts the fat and leaves the richness.
Mar 9, 2009
Can you freeze potato soup after
Mar 9, 2009
I would think using a low sodium-low fat ham, 2% pocessed cheese, fat free or low fat sour cream and fat free half and half instead of whole milk would greatly change the nutrition content and still keep it great tasting. It's all about making the right changes when "healthifying" a recipe.
Mar 9, 2009
this would be so great if the fat and sodium contents were not so highJane