Easy Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped California Walnuts, toasted, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in 1/2 cup walnuts. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until light golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; fold in 1 carton whipped topping. Spread over crust. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Gently spread over cream cheese layer. Top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and remaining walnuts. Refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars. Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 434 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 6, 2020
This sounds a lot like a recipe I have called “Chocolate Lasagna”. Same ingredients and directions. Very good!!
Aug 21, 2019
We add peanut butter to the cream cheese layer
Jun 30, 2019
Like another reviewer mentioned, I used pecans instead of walnuts just because they're my favorite. Since I do not like frozen whipped topping I always substitute sweetened heavy cream beaten till very stiff. To the cream cheese whipped cream mixture and the chocolate pudding I added 1 tsp vanilla extract. I used half and half in place of the 2% milk in the pudding for not only richness but a higher dairy fat content will always make your pudding much thicker and richer and you won't end up with the pudding being runny.
Apr 21, 2019
I called it almost Robert reford when I sumitted the recipe in 1999 when you had the contest to submit your favorite recipe it's good to see people enjoy it even if not almost Robert reford
Feb 4, 2019
Found this recipe to be lacking flavor. I will try again using half of the Cool Whip. Using an entire carton for the cream cheese layer reduced the flavor. There was not enough crust to fit 13X9 pan, will increase the crust ingredients. Being from the deep south all my life; I used pecans in the crust. Will try again. Not bad, just not outstanding.
Jan 23, 2019
This is a family favorite for gatherings. "Robert Redford" is always requested by our niece. I use chocolate most of time with pecans instead of walnuts
Jan 13, 2019
Excellent and easy to make
Dec 20, 2018
Have 4 generations that love this dessert. I use pecans. Make 1 pan of lemon, 1 of butterscotch, and 1 of chocolate to please all ages and taste buds.
Nov 20, 2018
This has been a family favorite for years! We double the crust layer and the cream cheese one as well! Always a hit!
Jul 3, 2018
I have made this for years. I use pistachio pudding and no chocolate. I will also use vanilla pudding then slice bananas between the cream cheese and pudding layers. So yummy.