Easy Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in 1/2 cup walnuts. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until light golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; fold in one carton whipped topping. Spread over crust. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Gently spread over cream cheese layer. Top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and remaining walnuts. Refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars. Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 434 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2019
Found this recipe to be lacking flavor. I will try again using half of the Cool Whip. Using an entire carton for the cream cheese layer reduced the flavor. There was not enough crust to fit 13X9 pan, will increase the crust ingredients. Being from the deep south all my life; I used pecans in the crust. Will try again. Not bad, just not outstanding.
Jan 23, 2019
This is a family favorite for gatherings. "Robert Redford" is always requested by our niece. I use chocolate most of time with pecans instead of walnuts
Jan 13, 2019
Excellent and easy to make
Dec 20, 2018
Have 4 generations that love this dessert. I use pecans. Make 1 pan of lemon, 1 of butterscotch, and 1 of chocolate to please all ages and taste buds.
Nov 20, 2018
This has been a family favorite for years! We double the crust layer and the cream cheese one as well! Always a hit!
Jul 3, 2018
I have made this for years. I use pistachio pudding and no chocolate. I will also use vanilla pudding then slice bananas between the cream cheese and pudding layers. So yummy.
Jul 2, 2018
I use pecans instead of walnuts, and double the cream cheese. Also I use butterscotch pudding occasionally instead of chocolate, depending on my mood. It's always a huge hit!
Jul 1, 2018
I have not made this yet but looks delich. and easy to make, It is a shame people like Tucson have to be so negative, you have a simple rating system so if you do not like a recipe just give no stars.
Jul 1, 2018
This dessert is truly heavenly. I substituted pecans for the walnuts. It is the same one that I used to make but the name of mine was Sex in a Pan.
Jun 30, 2018
I already have this recipe under the name "Yum Yum Torte". It is true to its name! I've also made it in butterscotch