East Carolina BBQ Sauce
On a recent trip to the East Coast, I discovered this bold, spicy Carolina BBQ sauce. I'm not a huge fan of the thick and sugary sauces you typically see, so this recipe really intrigued me. It was served with pulled pork, but I've tried it on chicken and it works beautifully. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or shaker. Seal and shake until sugar has completely dissolved. Use or store at room-temperature for up to 2 weeks.