Memphis Barbecue Sauce
I created this Memphis BBQ sauce recipe for our summer picnics because we love to grill. It can be made ahead, so it's ready whenever you fire up the grill. —Angela Spengler, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the mustard, salt and cayenne pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until desired consistency, 10-15 minutes. Cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 month. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats.