Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh fruit or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with fruit or ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 253 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 22, 2014
I have made this every year since I discovered it on taste of home site. We enjoy this care as a base for strawberry short cake. As it is not a large cake, it. Seems the strawberries are gone when the last piece of cake is gone.
Sep 3, 2013
Did anyone rating this recipe as excellent actually make it? I remembered a dinette cake recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook as well. While this cake wasn't "bad", it wasn't great either. It seems a little too sweet to me, and the texture isn't light like a quality brand cake mix. That being said, it doesn't have the additives that a commercial cake mix has. It makes an acceptable base for strawberries and whipped cream, which is what we used it for, but we prefer a cake mix cake to this (even with the additives).
Dec 15, 2008
I have always used this recipe for our Xmas morning breakfast tradition, Pineapple Upside Down Cake. My great grandmother started this tradition and we carry it on today. (Simply layer 1/4 c. melted butter, pineapple slices, cherries, and walnuts in the bottom of the pan before pouring in the batter.) I also have a vegetarian (vegan) adaptation that is more health conscious. I substitute soy milk for the dairy milk and 1/4 c. of unsweetened applesauce for the egg. I also reduce the amount of sugar to 3/4 c. and use organic demera sugar.
Nov 18, 2008
Sounds really good. I like a good moist cake so I am hoping this will also be moist. I especially like the fact that it is small since we are down to 2 not.
Jul 1, 2008
I remember making this cake as a young girl, under my mother's guidance. This recipe was in my mother's Betty Crocker cookbook, which she passed down to me. Spread with homemade chocolate frosting, it's a divine treat!