Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Paprika & Agave
Pair this rich and creamy ice cream with a cup of hot or iced coffee. It's mildly sweet with a hint of paprika. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Dash salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk and agave nectar until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, paprika and salt. Stir in chocolate. Whisk in a small amount of hot milk mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.