Crunchy Ice Cream Delight
Four generations of home cooks have shared our crunchy ice cream bars. If you love almonds like my family does, double the butter and almonds and save half to sprinkle on top. —Angie Ricklefs, Sioux City, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup crushed Rice Chex
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (1-3/4 quarts) vanilla bean ice cream, softened if necessary
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add almonds; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until toasted. Stir in Rice Chex, coconut, brown sugar and salt. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 5-6 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; place in freezer 30 minutes.
- Gently spread ice cream over crust. Cover and freeze overnight. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 212 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Vanilla Almond Crunch in Simple & Delicious February/March 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.